Friday, May 1, 2009

Monday Morning Blues

For some reason I hardly ever sleep on Sunday nights. I have never figured out why. I toss and turn and get up and go back to bed. I read, listen to music, and think, sometimes too much. So much futility usually causes me to get up at least an hour before I really need to on Monday morning. It’s not that I dislike my job. I’m not stressed about going to work on Monday morning. I just don’t sleep on Sunday nights. I know many people have the Monday morning blues. The weekend is over and it’s back to the grindstone for another week.

I think I have always been thankful for my job and employer. I am a hard, reliable worker. I think I got that work ethic from my dad. Despite our differences and other issues he was a hard working man. I’ve always felt that if your going to work for someone, then give them your all. I see that work ethic in both of my kids. They are dependable, hard working people.

At the same time my employer has been very good to me. They have bent over backwards to accommodate many of the things I have been involved in, from the time I spend at the schools to working with my schedule when I coached the high school girls soccer team. When Karen was sick and going through the many courses of treatments there was never and issue or question about being away whenever I needed to.

These days, with the sour economy and so many people out of work or working reduced hours, I can’t help but be thankful, even on a Monday morning, for having a good job.
Yes, I worked some weeks with reduced hours, but they kept us working and our insurance and benefits intact. That insurance, during Karen’s illness was an incredible blessing

Put yourself in my shoes. I don’t have a college degree, I went to work there when I turned 18, and I make a very, very good living and very good benefits. Through this whole downturn I have drawn one unemployment check for my entire life. Both my kids have gone to college and are doing well. I have a house and many great friends. I can get blue sometimes over other things but it’s pretty hard to get the Monday morning blues over work.
In all things, give thanks.