Friday, May 8, 2009

She spent her whole life looking out the window

If you want to sky-dive, there are certain things you have to do. I know this because my son and I are making those plans. We have been dreaming of this for a couple of years but, Life, happens and we have had to postpone a few times.

One of the first things you must do is find someone to help make that possible. There are many businesses that specialize in this around the country. We’ve picked one, now we just have to arrange our schedules to accommodate our plans. You have to go early on the day of the jump because they require some ground training. You can’t just go up in someone’s plane and jump out. I suppose you could but that probably wouldn’t end well. You’re also not allowed to solo free-fall on your first experience. They kind of want to ensure you won’t freeze up once you get out of the plane and forget to open your chute. That wouldn’t end well either. So, you have to either, Static-line jump, or tandem jump with an experienced sky-diver. A static line is a device that hooks on to the plane and automatically open you chute when you exit the plane. A tandem jump means you are coupled into a harness with the experienced diver and he, or she, controls the fall and the opening of the chute.

In the ground school you also learn about the chute and the folding. You learn about the proper technique for landing so you don’t break your legs. You learn about the reserve chute. You learn all about sky-diving before you actually do it. That’s probably a good thing.

You can have all this head knowledge. You can know exactly what to do and how and when to do it. You can put the chute on. You can get in the plane, and they can open the door at altitude, but it all means nothing until you are willing to step out of the plane. If you are scared you may have surrounded yourself with this miasma of fear. You have to have the faith to go.

Our lives are like that in many ways sometimes. The Holy Spirit guides us and prompts us. The Lord tries leading us in a new direction. We have the knowledge, we know what we are supposed to be doing and yet we fail to act, or move. We could spend our whole lives looking out the window and missing the exhilaration, the rush of air, and the blessings the unknown and the obedience can bring.

In some areas of my life I have this prompting, this leading, this urging that I know is the Lord prompting me. I’m afraid to make that leap of faith. It’s going to completely change my life if I do it. But the, what ifs, and the uncertainty keep me in the plane. How would my finances fare under this new plan? What about this, what about that? It’s a nice view from the window of the plane. I know what I need to know. I went up in the plane. Isn’t that enough?

I’m harnessed to the Lord. Are you? I know it will be ok. I don’t want to spend my whole life looking out the window. I want what God wants. I have to take the biggest leap of faith I have ever taken. I’m scared. What a rush.